Poor, poor Tracy.

While not my official hometown, it's close enough. And it seems that Tracy is having a rough time of it these days. First there was the Sandra Cantu story, which has been horrifying to hear. Then, SFGate.com gets wise to the Tracy theme and suddenly decides to report on this atrocity (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/04/14/BAJA1728CA.DTL&tsp=1),* which was reported months ago by the Stockton Record but suddenly has new appeal to Bay Area news sources no doubt because of the Tracy link. Something tells me that if anything untoward happens over the next several weeks in this unfortunate town, it will be all over the news. And no, it doesn't mean that Tracy is going to hell in a handbasket, it's just how the media works. They love their 'themes'.

The scariest thing about the Tracy doctor is that this is my mom's former employer--and was for several years. I mean, seriously, WTF? Sexual harassment is bad enough, but sexual battery? It would creep me out enough just having a doctor look at me sideways, but to have to worry about sexual battery is just insane!

Lastly, what cracks me up about this whole thing is that I'd love to hear what my mom's co-workers would have to say about all the recent news. I remember her telling me that the women in her office that were Tracy natives just loved to trash talk Stockton and point out all the reasons why they wouldn't go to Stockton after dark (how utterly ridiculous!), and how they would rather drive to Lodi than to Stockton to do their shopping. What made it even more ridiculous is that they would brag (!) about spending their weekends shopping "over the hill," meaning Dublin/Pleasanton. Somehow this was the ultimate in classy? This deserves another WTF, and I really don't use bad language anymore now that I'm a mom. But seriously, I'd love to hear what these women have to say about their town now. And I also love the fact that while Stockton gets trash talked aplenty, I can't think of any high profile crime cases that have taken place in Stockton like I can for Modesto, and now Tracy. At least the crime in Stockton is contained. Oh, my poor Central Valley.


*sorry, I can't do pretty URL links.

Comments