Better Post-Holiday Thoughts

Enough of the pity pot posts--just needed to get that out, I guess.

So I've had two dreams now that my son K grows up to be a chef. One in which my mom is telling me that it's his destiny. The funny thing is, I've never been much of a cook myself and have only recently been loving spending time in my kitchen. I'm the one who ate top ramen for dinner in college, who had white rice for breakfast when finances were tight. Now, my son has changed all that. I cook from scratch and I cook healthy, for the first time in my life! Partly because I'm cooking for a family now and I'm having to put more thought into our meals, partly because I'm paranoid about getting sick like my mom and leaving my kids behind, and partly because of K's sheer enthusiasm in the kitchen. He insists on helping me cook, bake, mix, whatever. I can't make toast without him wanting to get up on the counter and watch. I was never that interested in what my mom was making (and now wish I had been). He loves sushi, crepes, brie cheese, broccoli, Indian food, you name it. Not your usual toddler fare, but this kid is nuts for adult food.

Because of Kiran, I cook healthier and more often. And in a funny way, it's saved me. A few years ago I didn't know how I was going to get through life without a mom. The last thing I thought about was my own wellness and gastronomic enjoyment. Little K has taught me that preparing, cooking, and eating good food is one of the most life-affirming activities known to man. Thank you, Kiran. Maybe someday I'll eat in your restaurant.

Comments

GZ said…
Awesome, a Jack Tripper in the family. And you know how awesome Jack Tripper was.